Tuesday 8 April 2014

Barnabus' Balloons

There are two people who have contributed to the code-name I have given my novel-in-progress, and one of them will know exactly who he is, while the other may have forgotten her contribution. But still.

I started this project in summer 2012, for Camp NaNoWriMo, having thought of my first ideas possibly a few months or possibly a few weeks before starting writing on the first of August. There were two novels that inspired me, and they were Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore - my idea of how the city this book is set in would look was different to the way it was actually portrayed in the book - and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - I fell so in love with the setting Morgenstern created that I felt compelled to at least attempt to create a setting so wonderful myself. I was also slightly inspired by the song Must Get Out by Maroon 5 (ah, how music tastes can change in as little as two years).

The idea behind (Camp) NaNoWriMo is to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. In August 2012, I managed 41,000 words, and I was not even halfway through my plot - I plan for the book to span an entire fictional year, and I believe I managed to get to June. I think.

Since then, I have not really left Barnabus' Balloons; I have temporarily left it in for other projects, but I have never fully abandoned it. And yet I have never reached an end either. I am currently writing what I am calling a third draft, despite having never finished either the first or second drafts. So technically, if I finish this third draft - which I am planning on doing, eventually - it will then become the first complete draft.

I have much hope for this draft.

Barnabus' Balloons is to be a fantasy novel, set in a world of my own imagining (hence the maps). I don't want to give too much away but it concerns family mysteries, searching for a new life and for what is lost, and secret organisations plotting revolutions - and, naturally, a bit of magic. The story focuses on Saffie, who is seventeen and lives with her older cousin in a remote mountain village, and who moves to The City (which I finally named today while messing with Storybook - how exciting!) for various reasons, and there discovers a great many things.

My reasoning behind discussing this is that I have a number of ongoing writing projects, and I'd quite like to mention them from time to time, seeing that this is a blog I am to dedicate to my attempts at writing, therefore I thought a little overview of each of my projects would be in order.

So, readers, I introduce you to code-name: Barnabus' Balloons.

I'd also like to point out that I sort of stole the idea of code-names from Kristin Cashore's blog and the wonderful code-name she has given to her sister, Apocalyptica The Flimflammer. I have no idea if there is any sanity to that name at all, but it is brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment